Pages

Thursday 1 December 2011

Definitely not a dildo!

“What is that?” he said in his thick Brummie accent.
“What is that?” I repeated, with my now trademark eyebrow raise.
“Yea, what is it?” he said again raising the phallic shaped object in his hand as if to get a closer look.
For all of you still trying to guess, the answer is not a dildo, you filthy minded individuals! Who am I kidding? You’re in good company here!
That,” I said, “is a courgette.”
The man working on the till at Tesco looked at me bemused.
“Is that like a cucumber?” he asked.
Of course it isn’t you cretin. Surely to work at Tesco you should at least be able to identify your produce, shouldn’t you? Then I noticed the Trainee badge that he sported proudly on his nylon uniform.
“Yes,” I say, taking the easy way out and avoiding any further conversation. I even gave him the smile that I save for the terminally stupid. Now if that isn’t sympathetic then I don’t know what is?
“Innit?” he replied, nodding his head in approval before putting it into my bag. Goodness knows what he would make of the aubergine that was still to come!
Why is it that every time I go to this particular superstore that I end up having such ridiculous conversations?
I was chided by my work colleagues recently after a trip to Britain’s favourite supermarket where I had an altercation with the check out worker. On placing my Twilight DVD on the conveyor, the attendant examined it carefully.
“You like Twilight?” he said with a sneer.
Don’t. Even. Get. Me. Started.
And then before I realised what I was saying:
“You like working at Tesco?”
I know, that was a pretty low blow and he did look (quite deservedly) downcast. But hang on, this was one of those few occasions when I actually thought of a witty retort and managed to use it. Yet I still felt like a dick.
Oh God, then there was that awkward silence. That LONG and ever increasing silence. How do I escape this? Being vaguely aware of the fact that I was reddening through a combination of embarrassment and exhilaration (at the fact that I actually managed to say what I wanted to, when I wanted to, not some perverted excitement at terrorising Tesco’s uneducated employees!) I plumped for the customary glare. Never fails! Scared into a frantic exaggerated frenzy by the sharp tongued, glaring southerner, I would like to point out that following my outburst I did receive exemplary customer service! Silent! The best kind!
It’s not all one sided though. Oh no! After turning 25 a couple of weeks ago and revelling in the plethora of cards highlighting the fact that I am now officially old, or as one more sympathetic friend’s card denoted; dangerously close to being old, Tesco decided to kick me whilst I was down. On one of my standard trips to the local Express store near my apartment to buy the customary bottle of red after another gruelling day, the Caribbean lady working on the till asked to see my ID. Feeling almost smug as I look up to show her my driving licence she saw my face and responded;
“Oh no, definitely over 25,” she said in lilting Jamaican tones and waved my driving license aside.
Bitch!
Oh well. It’s still Jack: 2, Tesco: 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment